Reports: Include second column for previous period

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Tue Feb 24 03:55:47 EST 2015

Ok, so one company doesn't need it and does it manually. But: That doesn't
mean, everyone wants to it this way. And also very many people use it for
their private finance, where usuability is much more important than
adherence to publication issues.

As for the raised issues:

1. It is a pity, the report (and others) don't allow for a text box at the
bottom. But anyway, if you produce financial reports for a coorp, the amount
of text will be huge and the table produced by gnucash will only be one item
glued into the full report. Having both years would still make life easier
for the company.

2. Annotnations: Not really sure what to do about that. I guess it could be
implemented, e.g. allowing in the account selection for a short test field,
which will be pasted as superscript next to the account. Then, in the above
textbox or in the later report, it could be referenced. In this case,
personally I don't need it :)

3. I don't think this can happen in GnuCash. If you change the CoA, you will
do so for past years as well. Of course, any new accounts will be empty -
but that should be ok. I'm not even sure what you would have to do for a
coorp - woudn't you have to do some kind of restatement? I think that is out
of scope of GnuCash.

But all that fades before the background of the pure usefullness of a fast
comparison of these numbers. That is why it was included in publication
requirements - not the other way round. And if it is so usefull to get an
understanding of your numbers, then it should be included.

Anyway, I started working on this, modyfing the existing P&L. We'll see how
far I get, this is unkown territory for me. The developers in IRC are as
always an invaluable source of information.