Paypal

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 15:30:10 EST 2015

Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:21:14 <20150224202114.474db133 at billiau.net>  Liz
<edodd at billiau.net>

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:11:31 -0500
>Andy Pastuszak <apastuszak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to set up an GNUcash for Paypal?  Should I make a
>> Bank account or a Cash account?
>>
>> Andy
>
>For many years I didn't have a Paypal account within gnucash, but this
>year I have decided to do so, after running into difficulties
>reconciling refunds which were cross-currency.
>Now I have a Paypal account in gnucash, probably a bank account type.
>I enter the paypal transaction and then on the line below the payment
>to paypal from the other account. Twice the work, but reconciling is
>easier.

I have a PayPal account of type bank for each currency that has passed
through it.  I use them for currency matching as Liz does above and
making sense of dates as Egbert does (some currency transactions from
GBP to ANOther go via USD taking a day each time)

If the transactions were numerous, frequent or very small I probably
wouldn't bother.

Whether I use bank or cash wouldn't make a lot of difference to me as I
tend not to leave money in PayPal for long, the multiple gnc accounts
are just staging posts.

--
Wm...