Price editor no longer works with TIAA-CREF

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Tue Jan 6 13:28:33 EST 2015

> On Jan 5, 2015, at 9:29 PM, Ulrich Hopfer <uhopfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As of January 1, 2015, the Price Editor of gnucash no longer fetches the price quotes from TIAA-CREF. Has anyone had a similar experience?
> Did TIAA-CREF change the website so that the Perl script needs to be changed?  Where is the script located?
>
> I updated today to version 2.6.5. But saw no difference.
>
> I would appreciate any hints.
>
> Ulrich Hopfer  uhopfer at gmail.com
>
> --
> Ulrich Hopfer
> 2915 Coleridge Rd.
> Cleveland Heights, OH 4418

Yes, TIAA-CREF did change their data address again. Using the old standard way will require a fix to Finance-Quote.

The good news is that TIAA-CREF most recent day-end NAV's are now available from Yahoo. If you log into your tiaacref account, choose the Research and Retirement tab, and click on Retirement Investment Performance, once the page populates with the entire list of TIAA-CREF products, you can point to the funds you have and the popup summary will give you a ticker symbol that's retrievable through yahoo.

CREF Equity Index, for example, has the ticker symbol QCEQRX

I was trying to catch up with my data management between Christmas and New Year's, and noticed that the web address had already changed, but finance-quote still worked. I also noticed the new Qzzzzzz quasi-ticker symbols, so I played with those a bit too. I got the same results from Yahoo and both Finance-quote/yahoo and finance-quote/tiaacref  for unit values.

I haven't figured out yet if I did something strange, but switching ticker symbols in gnucash might require you to relink TIAA_CREF accounts to gnucash accounts when you import downloaded qfx files from TIAA-CREF. Libofx seems to make more use of the CUSIP in  identifying securities than is immediately apparent. When I added new securities with the new ticker symbol, I also copied the CUSIPs. So I had pairs of  securities with the  same CUSIP but different ticker symbols. Trying to import a TIAA-CREF transaction file triggered gnucash's dialog for identifying the account corresponding to the transactions being imported. I backed out of that and used the old definitions. I'll have to look at that condition some more next month when I get some new transactions to import.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com