Price editor no longer works with TIAA-CREF

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Jan 7 18:32:01 EST 2015

--On January 6, 2015 at 1:28:33 PM -0500 David Reiser
<dbreiser at icloud.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 5, 2015, at 9:29 PM, Ulrich Hopfer <uhopfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As of January 1, 2015, the Price Editor of gnucash no longer fetches
>> the price quotes from TIAA-CREF. Has anyone had a similar experience?
>> Did TIAA-CREF change the website so that the Perl script needs to be
>> changed?  Where is the script located?
>>
>> I updated today to version 2.6.5. But saw no difference.
>>
>> I would appreciate any hints.
>>
>> Ulrich Hopfer  uhopfer at gmail.com
>>
>> --
>> Ulrich Hopfer
>> 2915 Coleridge Rd.
>> Cleveland Heights, OH 4418
>

> Yes, TIAA-CREF did change their data address again. Using the old
> standard way will require a fix to Finance-Quote.
>
> The good news is that TIAA-CREF most recent day-end NAV's are now
> available from Yahoo. If you log into your tiaacref account, choose
> the Research and Retirement tab, and click on Retirement Investment
> Performance, once the page populates with the entire list of
> TIAA-CREF products, you can point to the funds you have and the popup
> summary will give you a ticker symbol that's retrievable through
> yahoo.
>
> CREF Equity Index, for example, has the ticker symbol QCEQRX

The TIAA/CREF quotes seem to be frozen in time as of Dec. 31, 2014.
Too bad they didn't just turn this off entirely so people would notice
it isn't working.

With the hint that Yahoo was now providing quotes for TIAA/CREF funds,
I was easily able to reimplement that price source as a special case of
the yahoo price source.  The attached patch removes the old tiaacref
module and reimplements that price source in the Yahoo USA module.  It
maps the old symbols to the new ones (for all the symbols I know about)
so you don't have to change any of the symbols in your GnuCash file.
After you have applied this patch you can remove the Tiaacref.pm file,
but you don't have to do so.  It won't be loaded and will be ignored.

Let me know of any problems, especially if you find any other symbols
that need to be mapped to new ones.

           Mike