Gnucash report fault

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 13 10:44:37 EST 2015

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 1:32 AM, John Moore <johnmooresj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have tried logging on as a new user.  The gnucash logo was on the new screen and it started up OK,  BUT it did not bring any data with it.   I tried to copy over one of the data files from Administrator, but it did not show up in gnucash.

It doesn’t bring data or preferences with it. It’s as if you had installed GnuCash for the first time, which is the point of the test. To open your file, use File>Open from the menu and navigate to wherever you saved it — probably the My Documents folder under c:\Users\Adminsitrator.

> I tried the 'Compatibility' procedure you suggested, but no data appeared on the screen.

That was a fallback if it still crashed when opened by the “other” user.

> Then I tried the Report request and there was NO CRASH !  However, neither was there any data, of course.
>
> When I went back to the original admin screen there was no 'compatibility' option,  but the request for Records crashed as usual.  I dont think I gave you the exact message "MS Visual C++  Runtime Library// Runtime requests to terminate in an unusual way.."
>
> I will try "debugging with gdb”.
>
> By the way, I do not think I ever used Lilypond.

OK, that’s just the most common reason for a Guile failure like this. They shipped a different version of Guile from ours and set the system path so that GnuCash would find theirs instead of ours.

The fact that GnuCash starts up when logged in as another user means that there’s something in the Administrator’s environment that’s crashing Guile, but it isn’t necessarily a conflicting application on the path.

> Thanks for all the effort !  I have been using Gnucash for years under W XP and no problems.  Would the switchover to W7 be responsible?  I used the CD that came with this desktop computer about 5 years ago - there was an option to have W XP installed but allowing one to switch over to W7 whenever I liked.

Unless you changed something else, that has to be it.

How did the upgrade handle the user directories? With XP they’re located in c:\Documents and Settings, with Win7 they’re normally in c:\Users. Did the upgrade move them?

In the Administrator’s home directory there should be a hidden subdirectory named .gnucash. Try renaming it, then start GnuCash. If it doesn’t crash you’ll need to manually open your data file with File>Open.

Regards,
John Ralls