Unofficial GnuCash Forum

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:32:51 EST 2015

I have been following this discussion with interest, even though I don't
use Nabble and I configured Gmail to present the GnuCash mailing lists in a
way that (mostly) works OK for me.

To summarize this thread, it sounds like a significant fraction of folks
would prefer a threaded "discussion forum" format, and for various reasons
don't want to or don't know how to set up their email software to display
the lists' messages as discussion threads. OR they feel other users seeking
help find the process a significant enough barrier to keep them from using
the email list.

I gather one complaint about Nabble as a forum-like view of the lists is
that its search capabilities are deficient. I found a help page on Nabble
describing their search capabilities. However I haven't played around with
it so maybe the searches do not work so well in practice.

   http://n5.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=31

Oh, and if I recall, another complaint about Nabble in the past has been
its presentation of advertising.

by Google and other search engines, are inconvenient to search and painful
to navigate, especially when a thread is long and/or occurs over more than
one month. (This is my observation; others may have other views.)

A developer pointed out that the upcoming version of the mailman email list
software used by GnuCash.org promises to present its messages in a much
more useful (forum-like) way. But we don't know when that version of the
software will be released, nor do we know how acceptable its implementation
will be.

Mark Ruzicka registered a domain and has gone to some trouble to set up a
new forum for gnucash discussions. I think it's wonderful he offered his
time and server space to help the community!

Maybe Mark Ruzicka and others can help the GnuCash.org maintainers by
testing ways to convert the past and future postings of the email list into
a more usable and searchable form. Or maybe accelerate the conversion of
the existing list to a forum by testing a beta version of the GNU mailman
software so it can be installed on GnuCash.org sooner. (Though I don't know
if a beta is available yet.)