Invoices/Receipts and PayPal fees

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 08:08:41 EST 2015

Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:19:28 <54CB68C0.8060205 at babrees.co.uk>  Jill Terry
<jill at babrees.co.uk>

>Apologies if you get this twice, but I think my first post was possibly
>removed as I messed up!
>
>Situation: non-profit club that does not issue customer invoices, but
>members payments need to be tracked so I can immediately say who paid
>for what.
>
>In QuickBooks I would enter a receipt, on which I stated where it's
>paid into. If they paid by PayPal I would include the fees as a
>discount allocated to an expense account.  Hence just one transaction.
>
>In Gnu is there a better way than to do an invoice, then immediately
>process payment and finally enter the PayPal fees, which is three
>transactions?

Money first, from Income:MembershipFees enter a split transaction like
so for Paypal
===
Income:MembershipFees       100
    Assets:bank         90
    Expenses:PayPal     10
===

or a vanilla one like so for a standing order or similar
===
Income:MembershipFees       100
    Assets:bank         100
===

presuming you get lots of payments of the same or similar type & amounts
you can just duplicate the nearest fitting transaction and change what
is different each time.

Now for who done it.  Presuming you don't (and don't want to) create
each member as a customer you need some way to record the person that
paid.  If each person has a membership number or something similarly
unique you can put that at the beginning of the description or into the
field in between the date and the description (it isn't just for chq
numbers) and use the Transaction Report or similar to keep track.

Depending on the frequency and number of your receipts you might want to
consider setting up an import from your transaction source (bank,
paypal, etc) letting gnc to the bulk of the work and leaving the human
to do the thinking bit of making sure each transaction is correctly
allocated.

Obviously there are a couple of ways of doing things let us know which
seems best and if you have any more q's.

--
Wm...