Advanced Portfolio problems

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Jul 15 19:55:23 EDT 2015

--On July 15, 2015 at 8:24:08 PM +1200 dunbrokin <dunbrokin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Advanced Portfolio, when calculated in my native currency of
> NZ$, the Value number of each holding not in NZ$ is calculated
> incorrectly. It seems the US$ number is multiplied by the NZ$ rate
> rather than being divided by it. Hence I get a lower value than I
> should do....For example I have 523 shares in BBBY (Bed Bath and
> Beyond) they are currently trading at US$68.80. I would expect the
> value of them to be around NZ$53,129 and instead it is showing a
> valuation of NZ$35,982.

According to my calculation USD68.80 is worth about NZD104.61.  How
many shares of BBBY are we talking about?  500?  This should be about
NZD52303.

Are you sure you have the correct price entered in the price data in
GnuCash?  Open the price editor from the Tools menu and look at the
entries for USD in the currency section.  They should show a security
of USD and a currency of NZD with a value between about 1.520 now and
1.314 a few weeks ago.  It sounds like you've somehow gotten the wrong
values into the price data.

I can't help you with the other problem since I've never tried pasting
the report into a spread sheet.  I know others have so it must be
possible.

             Mike