Lost Checks - No Payee - Best Practice

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:27:05 EDT 2015

What is your current procedure to prevent or detect fraudulent checks
written to that account?

A fraudulent check is going to show up as a discrepancy between
transactions you have recorded in your books and transactions recorded by
the bank, and will be caught when those records are compared (either to
check for cleared transactions, or for periodic account reconciliation).

If the bank is reporting that it cashed checks numbered 8054, 8062,
8055,8060, and 8051, but you only have ledger entries for checks up to
8061, you are going to look into the 8062 check and find out why it isn't
in your records. It may be fraudulent, it may be valid, but not properly
recorded, etc.

If the discrepancy was with a check far from the current number series
(like from the box is wayward checks, or completely random) it would still
show up as a discrepancy to the tracked down.