lock files are not getting deleted

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Mon Jun 29 18:36:58 EDT 2015

On 06/29/2015 06:21 PM, scar wrote:
> i've updated my system to ubuntu 14.04 and, with that, gnucash has
> unfortunately been updated.  i hate these forced updates, because
> everything was working fine before.  gnucash is now version 2.6.1, built
> from rev 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19.
>
> everytime i open gnucash i receive the error "GnuCash could not obtain
> the lock" for my books.  usually when i got this message it was because
> gnucash wasn't shut down properly or something--either way, the lock
> file issue was resolved next time i opened my books.  however, now it
> seems the lock files are never cleared out even when i quit gnucash
> normally, so now i am receiving this error every time i start gnucash.
> in addition, the width of my columns never gets saved and i am
> constantly having to re-adjust the width of columns just so i can read
> things properly....

It sounds like you are having a permissions issue with your files.

You'll need to check and verify that you are the owner of the files in
your home directory and where you're loading your data file from.  You
can use the "chown" command to gain control of the files in your home
directory.  There are two options you can take.  One is the grab
ownership of all the files in your home directory which will most likely
correct issues you haven't realized you're having yet, with other programs.

Or you can just take ownership of the files in the folder where your
data files are.

The commands are:

For full control of all your files:

sudo chown -R [yourusername] ~[yourusername]/

To take ownership of only the files in your data directory you can use
the command:

sudo chown -R [yourusername] [datafile directory]

Replace the [yourusername] with your actually user name (ie: chown -R
ljames ~ljames/).

Replace the [datafile directory] with the actual data folder where your
data file is (ie: chown -R accounting/).

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames at apollo3.com