Tracking dividends by stock in reports

Chris Szilagyi chris at apex-internet.com
Sat May 9 08:30:39 EDT 2015

Thanks for the reply.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "switch over to the individual stock
> accounts one at a time, and add the extra split".  You can enter it
> all from a single register as a transaction with three splits.  It's
> probably easiest to enter the transactions from a register for the
> account receiving the money, probably the broker account.

OK got it, I did not realize that the entries could be added in one
single place, but using the register makes sense, thanks.

> That said, there is an alternative that makes the dummy split
> unnecessary in some circumstances, if you're running a new enough
> version of GnuCash.  See
> <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/report-assets.html>
> for more information.

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I was reading the docs, and
trying to see if I could get it to work but I realized I'm only on
GnuCash 2.6.3, so it didn't seem to be working.  Just curious though, in
my case I have a structure similar to this:

Assets:Broker A:Widget Stock
Income:Dividends:Broker A:Widget Stock

Assets:Broker B:Widget Stock
Income:Dividends:Broker A:Widget Stock

Where the stock is the same one but held in two different broker
accounts.  Will this new way work?  And if not is there a way to edit
the report to make it work?

Thanks again for your help.
--
Chris