finding a deleted reconciled transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun May 17 20:11:07 EDT 2015

Wm <wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Thu, 14 May 2015 13:50:30 <1431636630940-4678330.post at n4.nabble.com>
> ihf <irafuchs at gmail.com>
>
>>I am finding that my reconciled balance is off and I am guessing that I
>>somehow lost a reconciled transaction. Is there any way to use the .log
>>files to find what that deleted transaction was?
>
> first: you are using the word "reconciled" unusually for some people.

Sorry, Wm, but the OP is not using the word "reconciled" unsually.
There is a reconciled balance, which is a runtime summation of all
reconciled splits in an account.  If the balance does not match your
bank statement opening balance then yes, it's possible that there was a
deleted or modified reconciled transaction.

> in gnc world we use: accounts / actions / check & repair to force bad
> transactions to the fore

Not necessarily.  Moreover, this might not be a "bad transaction"

> so, it may be that your lost transaction is in a .log file *and* you
> may be able to dig it out with a knife and a hammer but have you tried
> the available tools? :)

This is true.

>>I know that I can add a
>>dummy transaction to fix the error but it would be better if I could know
>>what the transaction actually was.
>
> Accounting is funny in that if you put the transaction you think you
> are missing back into the equation it often shows up the other one.
>
> Oh, we don't do accounting here :)

Ummmm... Yes, we do.  Maybe YOU don't..  :)