QFX imports for Investment accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 16:33:32 EDT 2015

Al,
As you know, there are two or more sides to each import.  I did not provide
enough detail in my previous note.  When you enter the very first import
from your financial institution, you are presented with an opportunity to
either assign or link it to an existing account in your file or to allow a
new account to be created.  If you find out later that you did not get that
financial institution linked to the correct account in your data, you do
need to jump through hoops to fix that problem.  You can find some
discussion about that in this link: <
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-July/030522.html>

On the other hand, once the base account is correctly set, then each line
that appears in the next part of the OFX/QFX import is where the 'transfer'
account is either assigned (somewhat arbitrarily) by GnuCash using Bayesian
matching and possibly colored green or left unassigned and probably colored
yellow, or colored red, which would mean that it will be ignored.  This is
where we get the chance to 'correct' the errors that GnuCash was offering
to make and ultimately complete a 'good' import.

Unfortunately, that is the limit of my knowledge about the OFX/QFX import
process.  If it is not possible to see and properly assign the commissions
at this stage, for example, I can not help with that part.  In my personal
experience, years ago I gave up on importing from my broker and resorted to
manually duplicating transactions from similar historical transactions and
updating dates and amounts.

There is another possibility for confusion, however, which I suggest that
you check in your chart of accounts.  Historically, the sample accounts
that GnuCash offers to set up for investments have contained some errors,
and may not be correct in your file.  Your brokerage account should be
under Assets:Investments:*Your Brokerage House *and should be of type
Bank.  Then the securities should be under that account and be of type
Stock or Mutual Fund.  While it is optional to have other intermediate
sub-accounts between Investments and *Your Brokerage House* such as Taxable
or Tax Deferred, that is not required.  If the brokerage account is not of
type Bank, that could cause import errors.

Good luck,

David C