To Compress or Not to Compress

Flo ffh at gmx.net
Mon Sep 14 10:46:00 EDT 2015

Hi,

At 08.09.2015 23:36 CET +01:00  Dorel Ciornei wrote:
> Hi all,Perhaps this is a stupid or at least weird question, but should I choose the option to compress the *.gnucash file or not to?
> Is there any other compelling reason to compress the files besides saving hard drive space?
> Could you guys tell me if you are compressing or not the files and why?

I use the uncompressed setting for different reasons.
The 2 main resaons are

1st Using a version control system, which also connects bookkeeping with
other business steps, there always the difference in the files
accessible which belongs to the according business actions.

2nd I generally think that compression (as well as encryption asf) is a
task which doesn't belong to the particular application but is better
situated at file system level or storage level. Therfor I'm using
compression at these levels with different implementations at different
machines (desktop vs NAS vs backup media).

Flo