Finance::Quote troubles?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 2 21:38:13 EDT 2016

> On Apr 2, 2016, at 9:39 AM, farleykj <farleykj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, it's generally best to see if things improve, but what troubles me here
> is the following facts:
>
> (1) "gnc-fq-dump" gets me valid quotes.
> (2) I'm using different sources (treasurydirect.gov, yahoo, etc) for quotes.
> None of them work, when they were fine Thursday.
> (3) The last time this kind of thing happened, it was a change to the Yahoo
> interface. It necessitated a change to the Finance::Quote module.
> (4) Pretty much the first thing you *always* see when an inquiry about this
> kind of thing is made, is the comment "oh, you should update to the latest
> version of (blah) and try again". I know I've been out of date on the
> Finance::Quote but didn't care since the functionality I needed was there.
> And because doing this stuff on OS X is kind of sketchy. As I indeed found.
>
> So, today the situation is the same, and I've not had any luck figuring out
> where things are going wrong.

Websites being messed up on Friday often stay that way until Monday, but the fact that you can't get the Authors file from CPAN suggests that you have a network connectivity issue rather than a problem with Finance::Quote per se. I just ran gnc-fq-update here, on my Macbook Air, and it completed successfully.

What are some of the securities on the "unable to retrieve" list? What does gnc-fq-dump say about them? Since there are sometimes issues with gnc-fq-helper, the perl script that GnuCash actually uses to retrieve quotes, and gnc-fq-helper it might be useful to try that too. The command-line syntax is

  echo '(yahoo "AMZN")' | /path/to/gnc-fq-helper

with the obvious substitutions. Do mind the quotes, they're important.

Regards,
John Ralls