Scout Troop Account Structure & Invoice Procedure for Dues

jdunham jwdunham at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 03:53:10 EDT 2016

David knows a lot more than I do, but I think we were on similar tracks.
However I am guessing that the whole reason for scout accounts is so that
you don't have to refund overpayments right away, since the charges are
frequent.  Modifying David's standard method, rather than treat overpayments
as an income you could apply the extra dollar in the payment to
Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick.

The only problem with that is that it is hard to generate a coherent
statement when Nick's parents ask you for a statement of their charges and
payments.  If you transfer all charges and payments as debits or credits to
"Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick", then you can easily make a useful report
by running an Gnucash Account Report on that scout account. There is the
Gnucash Customer Report but that needed a lot of tweaking before I could get
something that wouldn't be terribly confusing to the parents.

What I am planning to do is giving up on the business features (invoicing
and A/R) and running all transactions through the scout family's liability
account, and then periodically print that Account Report out as a PDF and
emailing it to the scout families.  Every payment received is a transfer
between the scout liability account and Assets:Undeposited Checks or
Assets:Cash on Hand, and every charge for an activity is a transfer between
some income account (I make a separate one for each activity/event) and the
liability account.

I am not an accountant, but I think the above system should be clear enough
to an auditor without generating a flurry of invoices and accounting journal
transfers that confuse your families.  In addition it is very important to
come up with a system that is simple enough for the next treasurer to use if
your troop is not lucky enough to have an accountant parent when after you
are ready to pass the torch.

Hope that helps,
Jason

DaveC49 wrote