Scout Troop Account Structure & Invoice Procedure for Dues

Joshua Sanders joshuamichaelsanders at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:12:55 EDT 2016

I guess what I'm confused about is liability accounts in GNUcash. Even if I
did a simple transaction with $0 in my assets column

Dr. Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick $24
   Cr.   Income:4010 Individual Contributions - $24

Shouldn't that show me Net Assets at the bottom of the screen as $(24.00)?
Am I reading that wrong or is my rudimentary bookkeeping understanding
completely flawed?
Joshua