New to GNUCash

John Angelico talldad at kepl.com.au
Tue Apr 5 10:02:12 EDT 2016

Hi all, from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm new here but I have used old Quicken in the past. I have a version I
call 2.6.12 built from source a week ago with the help of no 2 son.

I run it on a Debian release called Jessie but please don't ask me too
much more about that.

I'm a 40-year veteran in SME accounting and software, but mainly with
other packages and databases. I mostly use Pastel Partner (now part of
the Sage behemoth, but I started with it when it was a simple general
ledger bookkeeper as Pink Software's "Turbocash" on one 5.25inch floppy
disk).

For some volunteer tasks a Quicken-like solution is attractive BUT...I
am looking for a couple of features.

1. Cost Center - referred to in docs in a couple of useful places, but
from browsing forums I see that it is a long-standing unfulfilled
feature request. Quicken has had it for a long time though...

Is there any prospect of implementation?

2. Backup of files (just a .zip is all I need) from within the File Menu

Does anyone have any news? Even to tell me that I'm a noob and should
ask in some other list.

Regards,
John Angelico