Importing data from GnuCash files

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:30:05 EDT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 07:45, Steve Collins <scollins970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I had a hard drive crash on my computer, but I had all my data backed up.
> However, with the new hard drive I had to re-install GnuCash, and, of
> course, none of the data is linked to it now.
>
> Is there an easy way to simply link the old data file from the backup to
> the new installation of the program?  I have the complete GnuCash folder
> intact in the backup, so I could move it to where the new program is now
> saved, but I don't know where to point the program to pull the information
> from those old files........
>
> I am just using the local Windows 10 version of GnuCash--no special
> databases or anything like that, and I am definitely NOT an advanced user,
> so simple instructions would be greatly appreciated.......

To get your accounts file back simply copy the accounts file (probably
called accounts.gnucash or something similar, it depends what you
called it when you saved it) from your backup to a convenient
location, probably a new folder under My Documents (or whatever that
is now called in win 10).  Then in gnucash use File > Open to open the
file.

Colin