Importing data from GnuCash files

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 03:21:57 EDT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 22:33, Steve Collins <scollins970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The backup preserved the file hierarchy in a separate folder.  On the
> backup, under the "Program Files (x86)" folder is a subfolder labeled
> "GnuCash".  In that folder, there are 6 sub folders with various data saved:
> bin, doc, etc, lib, share, and uninstall.  I am assuming that is the file
> structure from the original GnuCash program, just in the backup folder.  Is
> that a correct assumption?
>
> I guess that is my question--if I copy the contents of those folders into
> the new GnuCash folders created when I installed the program on the new hard
> drive, will all of that data repopulate if I open the new program and point
> it to the appropriate "accounts" file?

No, those folders, as Mike has pointed out, contain the gnucash
program not your accounts file (the program contains the instructions
the computer uses to understand the accounts file).  There is no need
to restore those, simply installing GC on the new machine will do
that.  What you need is the accounts file.  You said above "if I open
the new program and point it to the appropriate "accounts" file?",
does that mean that you have the accounts file?  If so then simply
copy it to a new folder in your Documents folders and use File > Open
in GC to open it.

Colin