Importing data from GnuCash files

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Apr 6 17:54:03 EDT 2016

On 4/6/2016 5:33 PM, Steve Collins wrote:
> The backup preserved the file hierarchy in a separate folder.  On the
> backup, under the "Program Files (x86)" folder is a subfolder labeled
> "GnuCash".  In that folder, there are 6 sub folders with various data
> saved:  bin, doc, etc, lib, share, and uninstall.  I am assuming that is
> the file structure from the original GnuCash program, just in the backup
> folder.  Is that a correct assumption?
>
> I guess that is my question--if I copy the contents of those folders into
> the new GnuCash folders created when I installed the program on the new
> hard drive, will all of that data repopulate if I open the new program and
> point it to the appropriate "accounts" file?
>
> Steve Collins
> scollins970 at gmail.com

No, those are NOT your data files. Those are related to program files.

First thing to learn about computers, data and programs are not the
same. Take your word processing application. The documents you have
created using that application are NOT part of that application, are NOT
in the program file directories (file folders). At least lets hope you
didn't choose to save them there.

The files you are describing should have been created (on your new
computer) when you reinstalled gnucash on the new computer. Do not
restore them from backup.

Michael D Novack

PS --- from the sound of this you have a much more general problem with
lack of experience restoring from backup after a disaster. I am not
talking about just getting your gnucash data back. How about all the
rest of your data?