Managed fund - advanced portfolio wrong basis

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:27:34 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2016, at 3:59 AM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the advanced portfolio, the unit of 5000 is showing up as the basis
> whereas it should be the value of $9500.
>

> This would imply that the report is using a price of 1 for this security.
> Try to figure out where it gets this price and why it is wrong.  There are
> various options in the General tab of the report’s preferences that affect
> the source of prices.  You can also turn on the “show prices” option in the
> Display panel of the preferences to see for sure what price it is using.
> If the report has certain problems finding an appropriate price it will use
> a price of 1 and show a footnote explaining the problem.  Do you see this
> happening?

The fund is not publicly listed so I manually update the unit price in two
ways: once every mid-month when I buy new stocks I update the price in the
fund's tab and once at the beginning of each month I update the price in
the price editor. I have already had "show prices" enabled and it shows the
correct amount of around $2 per unit.

As I mentioned before, the only thing wrong is the Basis: gnc is having the
same basis as the number of stocks (aka shares) in advanced portfolio.

I am doing everything right and compared my setup with this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fBS8FYzHU

Should I go to price editor and delete the unit prices I have added
manually?