Managed fund - advanced portfolio wrong basis

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:17:14 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 5:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The fund is not publicly listed so I manually update the unit price in two
> ways: once every mid-month when I buy new stocks I update the price in the
> fund's tab and once at the beginning of each month I update the price in
> the price editor. I have already had "show prices" enabled and it shows the
> correct amount of around $2 per unit.
>
> As I mentioned before, the only thing wrong is the Basis: gnc is having
> the same basis as the number of stocks (aka shares) in advanced portfolio.
>
> I am doing everything right and compared my setup with this youtube video:
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fBS8FYzHU
>
> Should I go to price editor and delete the unit prices I have added
> manually?
>

> No, don’t change anything in the price editor, that’s not relevant.  I
> answered too quickly and got a bit confused about what your problem is.
> The price data base is used to calculate the current value of the security,
> not the basis.  The basis is derived from the various purchase and sales
> transactions for the security.  I have no idea why this isn’t working in
> your case, and I’m afraid I would have to see your transactions for this
> security to have any hope of finding out.
>
> Are you sure the purchases are recorded correctly?  A purchase or sale is
> recognized as a split that has a non-zero number of units for the security
> and a non-zero value.  Are there any sales or just purchases?  Is the
> report currency the same as the currency used to purchase and/or sell the
> security?  What is your setting for how to handle brokerage fees?  Is it
> set to “include in basis”?  I’m really at a loss about how it can come up
> with a purchase price of 1 for every transaction.

These are just purchases, there's no sales. And it's in the same currency.
There is no brokerage fees as well since the money comes out of a saving
account and goes directly to the fund. Fund fees are deducted off the top
of the fund's market capitalization each year.

I'm doing a split transaction:

The first-half of the split looks like this:

Account: Assets:Investments:Brokerage Account:Managed Fund:FundName
Shares: 1572
Price: $1.96
Buy: $3,000

The second-half of the split looks like this:
Account: Assets:Current Assets:Saving Account
Sell: $3,000

Thanks.