Managed fund - advanced portfolio wrong basis

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 21:19:48 EDT 2016

Sounds to me almost like the account is set up using a currency rather than a commodity?

  On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 19:50, Mike Alexander<mta at umich.edu> wrote:   > On Apr 8, 2016, at 5:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fund is not publicly listed so I manually update the unit price in two ways: once every mid-month when I buy new stocks I update the price in the fund's tab and once at the beginning of each month I update the price in the price editor. I have already had "show prices" enabled and it shows the correct amount of around $2 per unit.
>
> As I mentioned before, the only thing wrong is the Basis: gnc is having the same basis as the number of stocks (aka shares) in advanced portfolio.
>
> I am doing everything right and compared my setup with this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fBS8FYzHU <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fBS8FYzHU>
>
> Should I go to price editor and delete the unit prices I have added manually?

No, don’t change anything in the price editor, that’s not relevant.  I answered too quickly and got a bit confused about what your problem is.  The price data base is used to calculate the current value of the security, not the basis.  The basis is derived from the various purchase and sales transactions for the security.  I have no idea why this isn’t working in your case, and I’m afraid I would have to see your transactions for this security to have any hope of finding out.

Are you sure the purchases are recorded correctly?  A purchase or sale is recognized as a split that has a non-zero number of units for the security and a non-zero value.  Are there any sales or just purchases?  Is the report currency the same as the currency used to purchase and/or sell the security?  What is your setting for how to handle brokerage fees?  Is it set to “include in basis”?  I’m really at a loss about how it can come up with a purchase price of 1 for every transaction.

            Mike