how to automatically update equity account as each transaction is entered?

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Tue Apr 12 00:49:02 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-11 19:47, DaveC49 wrote:
> Hi Francis,
>
> I don't think accounting is irrational ...

I agree.

> ... it just has no immutable laws of nature that we can appeal
> to constrain the practice ...

Only one:  Since accounting tracks where items of value (eg, money,
assets, liabilities) has come from (credits), and gone to (debits), the
sum must always be zero.  My accounting knowledge is entirely
self-taught, and I have found the following model helpful:

I view double-entry accounting as a small one-room house with five
windows, where items of value come in one window and out the other.
Anytime something crosses a window threshold, it is recorded.  Since
nothing ever stays in the one-room house, the balance of debits and
credits is always equal (eg, sums to zero).  I don't view this so much
as a check on the accuracy of the system, but rather a way of tracking
the purpose of all transactions.

Where accounting gets complicated, is in philosophical decisions about
that purpose:  Eg, is the purchase of an item an expense or an asset?
That's the hard part to learn;  the math is easy. :)  I tend to be
pedantic about some of it, because that helps me learn.  Eg, when I
record income received, I enter the income tax withheld as an asset
(that the Federal Gov't holds for me), and then adjust that when I
compute my actual tax owed each year.  Ie, it's not an expense until you
know how much it is.  Of course, I could just record each withholding as
an expense, and then adjust it when the actual tax is computed, but I
like the view of the pre-paid tax balance as a running asset.

> ...  I am not so sure that one can think ones
> way through science. Aristotle tried that and ...

In the same way, I often see accounting newcomers try to shoe-horn
GnuCash (and occasionally, accounting principles) into their accounting
needs.  That's almost always a disaster that comes back to visit them
later in an audit (their own, their organization's, or the
government's).  Millions of people around the world have refined AND
AGREED ON an accounting "philosophy" that's based on plenty of
experience and wisdom, and bucking the trend is usually a waste of
time.  Accounting (as used by most people) is not going to change.