how to automatically update equity account as each transaction is entered?

Francis Gerund ranrund at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:30:15 EDT 2016

Dean Gibson wrote:

"In the same way, I often see accounting newcomers try to shoe-horn GnuCash
(and occasionally, accounting principles) into their accounting needs.
That's almost always a disaster that comes back to visit them later in an
audit (their own, their organization's, or the government's).  Millions of
people around the world have refined AND AGREED ON an accounting
"philosophy" that's based on plenty of experience and wisdom, and bucking
the trend is usually a waste of time.  Accounting (as used by most people)
is not going to change."

Thanks for your input.  I do not disagree with your statement.  I do not
want to stretch out this thread any further,
but I just have to say:

1)  As has been noted, double-entry accounting was devised centuries ago,
to reduce human data errors, in a time when a "computer" was a human that
could do arithmetic computations.

2)  It was a great advance for its time, but so was the horse-drawn plow.
Although both technically still "work", both may be increasingly obsolete.

I do think that, if we can put people on the moon (multiple times) and
return them to Earth safely, we can surely come up with something better
than double-entry accounting, if we put our mind to it.

Something easier.
Something simpler.
Something less complex.
Something useful to all, not just the few.
Something less tedious and cumbersome.
Something more intuitive and accessible to the numerically challenged.
Something that did not require long, agonizing formal or at least informal
study to learn.

WE DESERVE BETTER!

Thank you all for your patience and indulgence.