Using an externally hosted postGreSQL as a gnu cash backend?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Apr 12 06:52:43 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 12 April 2016 08:34:32 Colin Law wrote:
> On 12 April 2016 at 01:07, Dean Gibson <gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com> wrote:
> > On 2016-04-11 12:51, Colin Law wrote:
> >> If you are hosting PostGres on a machine connected to the internet
> >> don't forget to consider all the security implications. You don't
> >> want anyone getting into your machine via the open ports, or of
> >> accessing your data if you have not got it right. For example, if
> >> you connect to a pg server are the user and pwd encrypted or are
> >> they open for anyone to snoop between you and the server? I don't
> >> know the answer to that.
> >
> > You can easily set up a PostgreSQL server using an SSL connection
> > and
> > certificate.
>
> You can do that and I can do that, but the majority of readers here
> will not.

And I believe that next to the data integrity issues this is the second major point why the
database backends are not promoted very much: to prevent this list from turning into a
support forum for database setup and maintenance (which includes proper backups, security
considerations and so on) for people unfamiliar with it.

For people proficient with database management, that is not relevant of course. But the data
integrity and not true ACID compliance still are.

If gnucash eventually will be a true database application, that should become a different story
of course, although I feel even then database management specific questions would be more
appropriate on true database lists and fora.

Regards,

Geert