Using an externally hosted postGreSQL as a gnu cash backend?

Michael Wagner mikepwagner at mikepwagner.net
Tue Apr 12 14:07:16 EDT 2016

>> From: Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com>
> To: Dean Gibson <gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com>
> Cc: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 08:34:32 +0100
> Subject: Re: Using an externally hosted postGreSQL as a gnu cash backend?
> On 12 April 2016 at 01:07, Dean Gibson <gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com> wrote:
> > On 2016-04-11 12:51, Colin Law wrote:
> >>
> >> If you are hosting PostGres on a machine connected to the internet don't
> >> forget to consider all the security implications. You don't want anyone
> >> getting into your machine via the open ports, or of accessing your data
> if
> >> you have not got it right. For example, if you connect to a pg server
> are
> >> the user and pwd encrypted or are they open for anyone to snoop between
> you
> >> and the server? I don't know the answer to that.
> >

> > You can easily set up a PostgreSQL server using an SSL connection and
> > certificate.
>
> You can do that and I can do that, but the majority of readers here will
> not.

I am exploring using heroku's PostGres service. I think that they handle
all of that for me, and they seem to be relatively security conscious.

https://elements.heroku.com/addons/heroku-postgresql

Mike

--
“The bassoon is one of my favorite instruments. It has a medieval aroma,
like the days when everything used to sound like that. Some people crave