Income doesn't shown up in balance sheet?

Dallas thunderdallas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:29:44 EDT 2016

Hi, this is probably a stupid newbie question, but I've been searching
on-line for two hours still didn't figure it out.

I just started using GnuCash today, so I created a new file with everything
zero.  Then I enter a transaction by transferring  $2000 from Income:Other
Income to Assets:Checking Account.  Now I expect to have $2000 in Assets as
well as in Equity.  But when I open Reports:Balance Sheet, it shows $2000 in
Assets:Checking Account, but Total Assets is still zero, and Total Equity is
zero also.

Where did I get wrong?  How does an income become equity?  I tried close
books, and the report result is still the same.

Thank for any answers.