Income doesn't shown up in balance sheet?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Apr 14 06:23:36 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 15:29:44 BST Dallas wrote:
> Hi, this is probably a stupid newbie question, but I've been searching
> on-line for two hours still didn't figure it out.
>
> I just started using GnuCash today, so I created a new file with everything
> zero.  Then I enter a transaction by transferring  $2000 from Income:Other
> Income to Assets:Checking Account.  Now I expect to have $2000 in Assets as
> well as in Equity.  But when I open Reports:Balance Sheet, it shows $2000 in
> Assets:Checking Account, but Total Assets is still zero, and Total Equity
> is zero also.
>
> Where did I get wrong?  How does an income become equity?  I tried close
> books, and the report result is still the same.
>
> Thank for any answers.

Hi Dallas,

Which version of GC & Operating system?

I've just started a new file, with the default "common accounts", added £2000
to checking from other income, and I don't see any problem with the balance
sheet.

Assets:Checking is 2k, Total Assets is 2k,   Retained earnings, total equity
and Total Liabilities & Equity all show 2k.  everything else is zero.

The only option I had to change in the report config. was to run it for today's
date.

GC 2.6.11 OpenSuSE leap 42.1

HTH,
Maf.