How do I take delivery of stock certificates? (Not a brokerage question.)

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 20 15:13:33 EDT 2016

I took delivery stock certificates in a company to keep in my safe
deposit box. I had no trouble doing this and the certificates are in the
box now.

But I do not know how to manage this in GnuCash.

I have Assets->Investments->Roth->Berkshire that had the certificates in
there.

I made another account under Assets->Investments also named Berksnire
type Stock. This is a Stock type. I could not do a transfer. Program
says I cannot do that. So I pretended I sold it, put the money in the
Assets->Investments->Roth account as cash. I then went into
Assets->Investments->Berksnire and used the money to buy back the
shares. All this now seems to work, but is too clumsy.

Now if I do a balance sheet, it uses the original cost basis of these
shares, but it is way way off.

Those shares were originally purchased in my IRA at it thinks I bought
these shares at 20 years ago. When the Roth IRAs came out, I rolled
those shares into the Roth, paying tax of course. Now I took them out of
the Roth and put them in the safe deposit box. It seems to me it should
use the stock price when I took them out of the Roth and put them in the
safe deposit box.

What should I do to fix GnuCash's opinion of the cost basis?

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 15:00:01 up 6 days, 22:12, 2 users, load average: 4.51, 4.98, 5.06