How do I take delivery of stock certificates? (Not a brokerage question.)

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 17:02:43 EDT 2016

In article <5717D4DD.7020303 at verizon.net>
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I took delivery stock certificates in a company to keep in my safe
> deposit box. I had no trouble doing this and the certificates are in the
> box now.
>
> But I do not know how to manage this in GnuCash.
>
> I have Assets->Investments->Roth->Berkshire that had the certificates in
> there.
>
> I made another account under Assets->Investments also named Berksnire
> type Stock. This is a Stock type. I could not do a transfer. Program
> says I cannot do that. So I pretended I sold it, put the money in the
> Assets->Investments->Roth account as cash. I then went into
> Assets->Investments->Berksnire and used the money to buy back the
> shares. All this now seems to work, but is too clumsy.
>
> Now if I do a balance sheet, it uses the original cost basis of these
> shares, but it is way way off.
>
> Those shares were originally purchased in my IRA at it thinks I bought
> these shares at 20 years ago. When the Roth IRAs came out, I rolled
> those shares into the Roth, paying tax of course. Now I took them out of
> the Roth and put them in the safe deposit box. It seems to me it should
> use the stock price when I took them out of the Roth and put them in the
> safe deposit box.
>
> What should I do to fix GnuCash's opinion of the cost basis?

If you have just received the certificates rather than them being
stored elsewhere then there is no event as far s GnuCash is
concerned at all.

If there has been a financial event or similar effected by the
transfer then a sale and re-purchase would seem appropriate and
what you put in as the values is up to you.

I am in the UK so this is just about whether there should be a
transaction or not and not about any tax implications, etc.

--
Wm