Direct Deposit assign to invoice (payment: for Rental Management)

Doug lemans4 at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 25 00:58:45 EDT 2016

I have looked but cannot find how to assign a direct deposit (imported by Qif
file) to pay an invoice. Surely I do not have to duplicate the transaction
(from the AR window) then delete the original deposit?

 fyi, what I am trying to achieve is to assign a mock invoice for my rental
tenant, then when the (part)payment is direct deposited, I would like that
taken off the balance owing. What I need is to be able to generate a report
with the rental owing showing (with the pertinent periods) & the
corresponding payments. I am beginning to think it might have been easier to
export the data to a spreadsheet & manage the issue externally.
Here is a flow of the transaction:
-Generate Monthly (advance) invoice for rent for tenant (but not sent to
tenant)
-Tenant Direct deposits to my bank account.
-Periodically I import QIF file from bank
-Rental payments get credited against (monthly) invoice, & payment ends up
in Rental income for that property (account used for tax).
-Periodically, generate report for tenant detailing rent due, & payment
dates for monies received.

 In my case, I have been using expense accounts to track invoices on the AP
side, but as this is easy to track, I do not need to use the AP account.

 All this came about because a tenant pays odd amounts, at odd times making
it difficult to track rent payments, hence the need to set up an AR account.

Thanks, Doug
ps: I am no accountant! I do know about balance though.