Help with transactions for sale of stock

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 12:45:39 EDT 2016

Pam,

"Lots" is a murky subject in GnuCash.  In the old days, ie in the 2.4.x
series of releases (I think) the 'Lots" feature existed in GnuCash but it
did not work very well and was not understood by most of us.

More recently, as David T alluded to, it has been improved, but I am old
school and I am not convinced yet.  As you noticed, It still has escaped
being documented in the help manuals.

Regarding the apparent discrepancy in profit. The $1525 profit figure in
that example is the net profit that you expect to report to your taxing
authority, and it is different from the $1600 difference between the amount
that was originally paid for the Amazon stock and the amount received in
the sale. If we have chosen to track expenses such as commissions
separately, they get lines in the opening and closing transactions so that
the balances of the brokerage account and the security account remain
correct.  Many of us are lazy and we just lump commissions into the cost
and profit figures, and that works in some cases, but the value of the
security account will be incorrect after the sale and the trial balance
report will be incorrect, if it matters to you.

David T also pointed out while I was composing this reply that there is, in
fact a discrepancy in the tutorial that should be clarified.

In GnuCash we track the value of securities and expenses, income and
capital gains separately.  We tie the various parts together in the sale or
closing transaction by reducing the value of the security and increasing
the capital gain if we sell at a profit.

The examples in the help manual do not explain the importance of correctly
tracking the value of securities in GnuCash.  When you purchase a security
you are exchanging a certain amount of your currency for a certain amount
of the security.  Then, to keep things in balance for your trial balance
report, when you exchange back the security for your currency, you need to
assign the original amount to the security account and the balance (profit,
hopefully) to an income account.  That part does not happen automatically,
it must be entered manually as part of the sale transaction.  It is easy
when you buy or sell all of the security at once, but lots come into play
when you have multiple purchases or sales.  The general idea is to match
the correct value (cost) to the correct number of shares in the security
account and to end up with zero value in the security account at the same
time that there is zero shares.

That is why we pay our accountants and brokers big bucks.

Hope that helps.

David C