Help with transactions for sale of stock

hppweu hppweu at frontier.com
Thu Apr 28 22:56:11 EDT 2016

OK, I think I am beginning to understand.  It seems that I had crossed accounting concepts with US taxation concepts and thrown in a little brokerage terminology.  So let me see if I have this straight now.

1) The Profit for this transaction is the difference between the selling price and the purchase price, without commissions.  This is not the same as what I would usually consider 'my profit' (or as you called my net profit), nor is it the same as the Realized Gain from the Advanced Portfolio report.

2) The Income: Cap Gain (Long) is not the same as what is reported on the 1099 at the end of the year nor is it  the taxable gain.

I guess when I read the tutorial, my preconceived ideas of these concepts kept me from truly understanding what it was saying.

Thank you, I truly appreciate your help.
Pam