Price Editor

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:13:17 EDT 2016

See my response below. I am bottom posting. My apologies for not reordering
the thread to make it readable.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Les <lelliott5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A follow up to previous entries:  I booted Linux Mint to a live cd and
> ran badblocks.  After almost 2 hours, (SDA is 1TB) the system detected
> zero bad blocks.  When I ran hdparm, there was a message that sda3 does
> not start on the correct sector.  Not sure what that means.  Perhaps I
> will create a live cd with gparted and attempt to correct this issue.
> Since the whole system seems to run properly (except for Price Editor in
> GC) I have my doubts that this will have any impact on GC.
>
> Wiser minds feel free to correct my assumptions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les
>

> On 08/26/2016 10:37 AM, Michael via gnucash-user wrote:
> > Les, I have Mint 18 MATE and gnucash 2.6.13.  As far as I know, I am
> > not seeing the problem you report.  However, I only used Price Editor
> > briefly to verify the bug I had experienced was fixed.  To update
> > gnucash, I used a process that was described on this list a few weeks
> > ago, before getdeb was updated.  I don't remember the specific site
> > used but it involved gnucash, wiki and ubuntu. Whether this build is
> > somewhat different, or I just haven't used Price Editor enough to see
> > the problem you are having, I can't say.  Sorry I can't be more
> > specific.  Mike
> >

> > On 08/24/2016 02:01 PM, Les wrote:
> >> I have finally updated GC to 2.6.13 (I waited for the repo to update).
> >> However, I still have issues with Price Editor. It opens as expected and
> >> I can access various parts as well. However when I click close it
> >> hangs.  I checked system monitor in Linux Mint and the GC process was at
> >> 100%.  It took maybe 2 minutes to finally close.
> >>
> >> For what its worth, I ran GC 2.6.12 without issues under Linux Mint
> >> 17.2.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?  Is this a bug? Anyone else seeing this problem?

I haven't seen this problem (crashing price editor), though I very rarely
use the price editor. I doubt you're seeing disk corruption or anything
like that.

I think it's more likely you have a glitchy installation of GnuCash, some
unusual corruption in your data file, or an incompatibility with Mint.
(GetDeb is intended as a repository for Ubuntu, so it's possible the
GnuCash packages in GetDeb depend upon a library that differs in Mint.)

I suggest purging and reinstalling GnuCash. Especially if you upgraded your
Mint system from an older to a newer version -- there may possibly be some
cruft left over from an earlier installation that didn't upgrade correctly.
I don't know if you can purge packages using the Mint package manager, but
you CAN do this using Synaptic or the terminal.

(Oh, and even though purging the packages will not touch your data files at
all, you ought to check your data backups first. Just in case something
goes wrong. Or has already gone wrong.)

To purge and reinstall GnuCash, open a terminal and execute these two
commands (I'm assuming you might have python-gnucash installed; if not,
leave that one off. Similarly, if you have gnucash-dbg installed, add it to
the commands below):

$ sudo apt-get purge gnucash gnucash-common python-gnucash

$ sudo apt-get install gnucash gnucash-common python-gnucash