Deposit through customer

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Aug 31 13:09:08 EDT 2016

On 8/30/2016 8:21 AM, Jacqueline Greenleaf wrote:
> Making an invoice for each donation is how I did it when working for a nonprofit. We used QuickBooks there, as do many nonprofits.
>
> When using bookkeeping software for a nonprofit, just remember that for bookkeeping purposes, anyone from whom you receive money (or unkind donations) is a customer, and anyone who receives money (or unkind services) from you is a vendor. The underlying algorithms don’t care whether you call a person a customer or a donor.
Agreed, that is what most do. Especially when "membership" organizations
and members want statements. Usually they want unified statements
showing "dues" and extra donations. But the thing to remember is that in
spite of how your accounting package will consider it (and QuickBooks
has the same problem) when using the invoice feature will treat "due"
amounts as receivables. Except .........

a) Membership dues are NOT actually "receivable". With voluntary
organizations, allowed to quit at any time regardless of organization
rules << you might have to pay "back dues" to rejoin, but that is
another matter >> In other words, failure to have given notice of
dropping out, failure to have received permission to drop out, etc. does
NOT make "owed dues" collectable in law.

b) On the other hand, pledges ARE receivables in spite of the fact that
non-profits are rarely in a position to try to collect unfulfilled
pledges. This, BTW, is why many such organizations push for "pledged
monthly donations" etc. since they are allowed to "book" that as
income.  Another complication with pledges (that available packages do a
poor job with) is that while a pledge is receivable, it is receivable
only by the terms of the pledge. In other words, if a donor pledged "one
thousand a year for the next five years" that would NOT be $5000
receivable NOW.

We should not fault gnucash. Packages like QuickBooks have the same
problem. And back to the suggestion that "donors/members" are customers,
yes, that is what you have to do but the organization might also have
REAL customers<< say the church also rents out its social hall for
events >> We just have to realize that nobody is (yet) making a package
that has features to handle the peculiarities of accounting for a
non-profit.

Michael D Novack