All Scheduled Transactions Disappear

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sun Dec 25 08:13:14 EST 2016

On 12/24/2016 5:59 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Dec 24, 2016, at 12:44 PM, aeneas <receiver at gowdygroup.net> wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> First, this experience proves the merit of your suggestion about devising
>> more proactive backup.  I'll definitely be looking for an improved method.
>> This is actually one of the negatives associated with using MySQL.  In that,
>> the backup will have to be a separated from the use of GnuCash.

Negative aspect?  Your backup strategy for the databases used by SQL
should be for ALL Sql databases on your computer, not just those used by
gnucash. Yes, perhaps at the moment you are only using SQL with gnucash.
But it would be wrong (shortsighted) to think of SQL as being something
that could only be used with gnucash.

Ideally your backup strategy is devised so as to backup all DATA on your
computer << you need to backup "systems" only with each "build" -- of
course if you might be randomly updating software without a plan, then
you have to have regular backup of that too. One advantage of doing
software changes only with a "build" (all the ones since last time at
once) is that you don't need to be doing interim backups of software >>

By putting the responsibility into a backup process that handles all
data on your computer you don't have to remember to change that when you
add some new kind of data.

Michael D Novack

PS: I assume that there is a backup/restore facility for these "small
sorts" of SQL just like I had available DB2 utilities to do
backup/restore of mainframe SQL data. ROFLOL, I once did a "conversion"
of a set of tables by converting their backup and restoring from that <<
in the middle of development of a new system decided that they needed
somewhat expanded tables (columns) and more test cases (rows) and it
takes a lot of people sitting at terminals a lot of time to do that
manually when you are talking about tens of thousands of test cases >>