Transactions involving different currencies

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 12 16:02:17 EST 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 12:11 PM, rsbrux <rsbrux at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your quick and comprehensive response!
> I deleted all Trading and Imbalance splits, but GC still added them back
> incorrectly.
> As entered:
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683299/GC_fund_purchase_as_entered.png>
> As balanced by GC:
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683299/GC_fund_purchase_auto-balanced.png>
> I was not given any opportunity to set the exchange rate.

Yeah, you missed the part about needing to enter the CHF amount, exchange rate, and EUR value in the Sparkonto split. You have to enter that split as
           Account   | Shares | Price                       | Tot Buy | Tot Sell
	...Sparkonto | 10505  | 10505/(9935.42+49.68+14.90) |         | 9935.42+49.68+14.90
GnuCash will do the arithmetic for you when you leave each cell so it won't look like that when you finish.

When trading accounts are enabled all of the values shown in Register view are in the currency for that register. In a security account register the "Tot Buy"/"Debit" and "Tot Sell"/"Credit" are in the security's base currency (determined by the nearest parent account denominated in a currency); the "Balance" column is in the account's commodity (the security), and the Shares column is in the split's account commodity.

The other thing to keep in mind is that in split view the user is responsible for getting the right amounts in the right places, GnuCash won't change the user-entered splits. It will fiddle the trading account splits for you, so leave them alone.

> The screenshots also illustrate my problem with the columns.  There is no
> right edge to grab on the Account column, because its right boundary does
> not extend into the title area.  The nearest right edge that I can grab is
> the right edge of the (unlabeled) "reconciled" column, which only allows me
> to make the reconciled column wider: not very useful ;-{

Put the focus in a split. That will change the header to show separate account and reconciled columns.

> I expect dragging a dividing line between columns to move that dividing
> line, resizing both the column to the right and the column to the left of
> the dividing line, and leaving all other boundaries and columns unchanged.

Yeah, most people do, but our Register code was lifted from an early version of Gnumeric and doesn't know how to do that.

Regards,
John Ralls