Budget Questions

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 10:07:25 EST 2016

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about how the Budget features and reports are intended to work.

First, I have noticed a couple of things in the Budget window that I do not understand:
   1) What does the Transfers total track? For me, that field is always zero, so I wonder what it is supposed to contain.
   2) The totals for Income, Expenses and Transfers add up strangely. I would expect that Income and Expense would offset one another, but they do not. They both increase the Total. It looks strange to have Income $10, Expenses -$10, Total $20. Is this expected behavior, and if so, why?

Second, I am using the Budget Report to view actual (as opposed to budget) monthly numbers using a budget I created that has budget amounts only for a subset of the entire Chart of Accounts. I use the report to view how much I am spending and receiving in a highlighted number of accounts especially interesting to me, setting the report to display only the actual numbers for the budget period. This way, I can see a summary of my spending in those areas at a glance.

When I run the report, however, I find that the totals for Actual data tally all accounts, regardless of whether those accounts are: a) included in the underlying budget, or b) selected for display in the report. This isn’t the behavior I would expect; is it right, and if so, why?

TIA,
David