Passwords for MySQL

aeneas receiver at gowdygroup.net
Mon Jan 4 12:05:35 EST 2016

I have both a hosting account and a computer I use for development/testing.
The hosting service is pretty garden variety shared service.  My own
computer runs xampp, which includes a pre-configured mysql server.  I
received the same results when trying to access a mysql db using both
methods, which is why I suspected something irregular on gnucash.  In both
cases the mysql server was being accessed remotely (i.e., the client,
gnucash, was run on a different machine than the server).

mysql does use permissions which specify both the username and location from
which the db is being accessed.  Failing to have properly defined
permissions does produce the same error in gnucash.