Beginner Issues with GNUCash

soulrade bosemajor at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 17 22:37:03 EST 2016

Thanks both,

Both answers make sense especially the out of balance bit, so I guess it
depends on how to proceed.

Buddha Buck:

Ok so let me get this right. My view of the world would be Paypal CR on the
1/1/2016 but my Bank did not get the funds until 1/3/2016.

1. Ok so I understand that if allowed my books would out for those 3 days.
Details aside for a moment, so how would I record this transaction in my
world?

CR Paypal 1/1/2016
DR Bank 1/1/2016 ?

Even though in my world the other side I do not see the money in my Bank
account on the 1/1/2016 until it comes in on the 1/3/2016.

I understand it can't be done that way because for 3 days it will be out.
Want to make sure I will record these properly so want to understand so in
the real world how would I record this? Still do it for the 1/3/2016 even
though I haven't got the money yet.

2. Are you able to specify the details of the other side of the split of
Paypal? If so how as that would be useful to avoid the confusions of similar
transactions. Can you do this on import?

sunfish62:
That idea is something I thought about, but that would mean creating one
between Bank/Paypal GBP and another for Paypal GBP/Paypal USD. I thought
it'll get too messy but I guess if there is no other option and this is the
right way to go forward then it will have to do