Beginner Issues with GNUCash

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Mon Jan 18 04:35:37 EST 2016

On 01/17/2016 09:37 PM, soulrade wrote:
> Thanks both,
>
> Both answers make sense especially the out of balance bit, so I guess it
> depends on how to proceed.
[snip]

> sunfish62:
> That idea is something I thought about, but that would mean creating one
> between Bank/Paypal GBP and another for Paypal GBP/Paypal USD. I thought
> it'll get too messy but I guess if there is no other option and this is the
> right way to go forward then it will have to do

This "suspend" account is something I've tried for my bank (MyBank).
For MyBank, 2 subaccounts are created, one called Cleared
and the other called Float (corresponding to the "suspend"
account that sufush62 mentioned.

Since they are subaccounts of MyBank, the "actual" balance for MyBank
is shown on the Accounts tab.  The Float account shows how much
that's owed (as a negative amount) but not yet paid by the bank.
The Cleared account shows the "current" balance
(the actual balance - Float).  When all checks have been cleared
Float=$0.00.

Maybe you wouldn't have to create a suspend account for each
pair of source and target assets.  Maybe you could just make the
suspend account a subaccount of the source account (the source
account is the source of funds, IOW, in my example, MyBank).

The only problem is for each transaction, 2 entries are required.
One entry for when the check is written, and another entry for
when the check clears.  However, when the check clears, I just
put the check# in the number field and "clear" in the description.
That's a bit of a hassle, but not too much.

HTH.

-regards,
Larry