Beginner Issues with GNUCash

soulrade bosemajor at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:21:35 EST 2016

Thanks all, you all are a friendly bunch.

I think I've decided to go with the second option of creating similar to
other suggestions of a in transit account.

Reason for this was because in the real world I couldn't use one date or the
other, because that would end up showing me a false true life position
whilst funds are in transit. If I choose to record using the bank date, the
reports give me a false impression the funds are available immediately in
Paypal for the 3-5 days it takes to process. Which is not true in real life
as the funds are not available to spend in Paypal yet.

If I do it the other way around and use Paypal dates, then it gives me a
false impression the money is available in the Bank to use immediately on
that date. Which is also not true since the funds are not available to spend
in the Bank either.

Especially where refunds and holds are concerned where it can take several
weeks, all my reports are going to show me false position all the time that
the money is available to spend either at the Bank or Paypal when in true
life case it is not.

So I am going to give the secondary account a try now and see where I get
and if I encounter any further issues.

Thanks for all you help will give it a try now.