GnuCash and Swedish accounting legislation

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Jan 18 08:15:18 EST 2016

On 1/18/2016 4:16 AM, Draug wrote:
> After some more research I discovered the day treshold option which
> effectively disables me to make any edits after some day, but
>> According to Swedish accounting legislation, you are not allowed to
>> use accounting software that allows you to edit registered
>> transactions (where they use Excel as an example), which to my
>> knowledge is quite easy to do in GnuCash, even after reconcilation.
>> Swedish accounting legislation requires that every mistake is
>> corrected with another transaction, and that the mistake is left
>> intact in the records.
>>
>> Is there anything that I've missed that makes it possible to use
>> GnuCash in accordance with Swedish law? I really want to avoid
>> switching to some proprietary, cloud-based accounting software that
>> costs $12 a month to use.
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>> Draug
No, nothing allows the existence of any software system that can satisfy
the intent of those legislators who apparently haven't a clue about what
a competent software person could do (to get around imagined protections).

If you are asking whether gnucash can be used in a way that complies
with this requirement, the answer is yes. To the same extent that old
fashioned pen and ink on paper accounting can << you know, I could
always copy over in its entirety a set of bound paper books except for
altering certain entries and destroy the first set >> You simply don't
fix things by editing a transaction but by entering a correcting
transaction (follow the rules).

Tell me something. Does Sweden interpret this law to mean "any
computerized accounting shall be done on OUR machines (no physical
access to them) and the data shall be kept on OUR machines (no physical
access to it).

Look, I used to work for one of the world's largest financials. ONE of
the things I did a lot of was to write programs to alter the data
outside of the normal security checks (example -- normally the data
entered by humans from terminals one at a time and full audit trail
produced. Because an error was discovered affecting 150,000 accounts
those need to be corrected,  a correction transaction entered. That
would be a lot of workers sitting at terminals for lots of weeks. Or
somebody like me writing a special program to generate that effect. Now
naturally, I would design that special program so that it ALSO produced
the same audit trail, looked exactly as if had been done normally. but

In other words, if the software is running on a machine that I can
access (alter programs if I wish) and the data is being kept on machines
that I can access (and trust me, if I can alter the programs,
encryption, security hashing, etc. will NOT keep me from altering the
data) then the Swedish legislature is fooling itself. Any large Swedish
company would have people in its IT shop who could alter the data.

Michael

PS: The software being open software only makes it easier (and legal) to
create an altered program (which gets around the security). Just because
doing that to proprietary software where you don't have the source code
is much harder and illegal does not mean can't be done. I've wielded
tools like "monitors" and "disassemblers" in my day << for perfectly
legal purposes, having to alter a program that hadn't changed in the
previous several decades and the source code lost -- say never made it
from card to disk when all the punch card decks were retired >>