Anyone know if GnuCash can import ofx bank transactions from Australian ING Direct bank?

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 8 05:46:03 EDT 2016

Hi,

GnuCash 2.6.12 Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04

I tried importing a .ofx file from Australian ING Direct bank and it accepts
the file but there are no transactions listed in the window, so it seems
there is something wrong with the data.

Does any know if GnuCash can or cannot import  ofx transactions from this
bank?

I'd also like to know if I can use aqbanking to download transactions
directly. I cannot find anything on the bank's website about direct connect
but I haven't asked them yet.

Thankfully, this bank allows you to download transactions in csv, ofx or qif
format.

I was able to import .qif but I believe ofx is preferred as

(to quote
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-September/031420.html)
:

OFX transactions contain a unique transaction ID, so that if

you import transactions every week, and your bank insists on sending

you the most recent 30 days of data regardless of what you request,

then the duplicate recognition is automatic and you never see

transactions matching unique IDs you have already imported.

I was pretty impressed with the qif import process. Good helpful messages
all along the way.

It did take me about 10 transactions before I realised you can highlight
multiple transactions and assign the non-bank account to them in 1 go.

Alternatively, can some-one please provide a de-personalised example .ofx
file that does import so I can figure out what is different about my file?

Here is a de-personalised extract from my file:

OFXHEADER:100

DATA:OFXSGML

VERSION:102

SECURITY:NONE

ENCODING:USASCII

CHARSET:1252

COMPRESSION:NONE

OLDFILEUID:NONE

NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>

<SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

<SONRS>

<STATUS>

<CODE>0

<SEVERITY>INFO

</STATUS>

<DTSERVER>20160708104407

<LANGUAGE>ENG

</SONRS>

</SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

<BANKMSGSRSV1>

<STMTTRNRS>

<TRNUID>1

<STATUS>

<CODE>0

<SEVERITY>INFO

</STATUS>

<STMTRS>

<CURDEF>AUD

<BANKTRANLIST>

<STMTTRN>

<TRNTYPE>CREDIT

<DTPOSTED>20160630000000

<TRNAMT>123.45

<FITID>903889

<MEMO>Bonus Interest Credit - Receipt 903889

</STMTTRN>

<STMTTRN>

<TRNTYPE>CREDIT

<DTPOSTED>20160630000000