Anyone know if GnuCash can import ofx bank transactions from Australian ING Direct bank?

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Sat Jul 9 15:44:24 EDT 2016

> On Jul 8, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> GnuCash 2.6.12 Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04
>

> I tried importing a .ofx file from Australian ING Direct bank and it accepts
> the file but there are no transactions listed in the window, so it seems
> there is something wrong with the data.
>
> Does any know if GnuCash can or cannot import  ofx transactions from this
> bank?
>

> I'd also like to know if I can use aqbanking to download transactions
> directly. I cannot find anything on the bank's website about direct connect
> but I haven't asked them yet.
>

> Thankfully, this bank allows you to download transactions in csv, ofx or qif
> format.
>
> I was able to import .qif but I believe ofx is preferred as
>
> (to quote
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-September/031420.html)
> :
>

> OFX transactions contain a unique transaction ID, so that if
>
> you import transactions every week, and your bank insists on sending
>
> you the most recent 30 days of data regardless of what you request,
>
> then the duplicate recognition is automatic and you never see
>
> transactions matching unique IDs you have already imported.
>

> I was pretty impressed with the qif import process. Good helpful messages
> all along the way.
>
> It did take me about 10 transactions before I realised you can highlight
> multiple transactions and assign the non-bank account to them in 1 go.
>

> Alternatively, can some-one please provide a de-personalised example .ofx
> file that does import so I can figure out what is different about my file?
>
> Here is a de-personalised extract from my file:
>

> OFXHEADER:100
>
> DATA:OFXSGML
>
> VERSION:102
>
> SECURITY:NONE
>
> ENCODING:USASCII
>
> CHARSET:1252
>
> COMPRESSION:NONE
>
> OLDFILEUID:NONE
>
> NEWFILEUID:NONE
>
> <OFX>
>
> <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
>
> <SONRS>
>
> <STATUS>
>
> <CODE>0
>
> <SEVERITY>INFO
>
> </STATUS>
>
> <DTSERVER>20160708104407
>
> <LANGUAGE>ENG
>
> </SONRS>
>
> </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
>
> <BANKMSGSRSV1>
>
> <STMTTRNRS>
>
> <TRNUID>1
>
> <STATUS>
>
> <CODE>0
>
> <SEVERITY>INFO
>
> </STATUS>
>
> <STMTRS>
>
> <CURDEF>AUD
>
> <BANKTRANLIST>
>
> <STMTTRN>
>
> <TRNTYPE>CREDIT

> [...]

In your example transactions, the <FITID> values are identical. If those numbers are the ones provided by the bank, then no, you won’t be able to import them without modifying the files prior to import. FITIDs don’t need to be anything special, they just need to be guaranteed unique forever per account. The biggest issue you face is that anything you do to fix the FITID values yourself is likely to negate the primary advantage of ofx vs qif — near certainty of identifying transactions you have already downloaded once (duplicate transaction rejection).

If qif works for you, I’d recommend staying with that. Gnucash does provide some help identifying potential duplicates, but confirming the duplicates requires manual action on your part during the import.

If those FITIDs are the bank’s numbers, then they are violating the ofx spec. Perhaps you can embarrass them into fixing their code. OTOH, banks don’t seem to find incompetence to be embarrassing these days.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com