Problems with GNUCash usage (Technical questions)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Jun 8 05:27:57 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 15:13:20 BST Miranda Lee wrote:
> May i please ask for this particular input for Printing and Reproduction,
> is there any wrong input for the "Transfer" filed since the total expense
> amount does not reflect on the root table as in 'box 2' shown below.
> (should I have to change it to "*Liability"* in order to have this
> captured?)
>

> box 1.
> [image: Inline images 2]
>
> box2
> [image: Inline images 1]
>

>  Miranda  Lee

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to Gnucash.

>From what I can see in your screengrabs, I think you are mis-understanding the
transfer column and double entry book keeping.  This is fundamental to getting
going with Gnucash.

When you spend money on "printing & reproduction", it should be a transfer of
money from another account, maybe cash, or an account with a  bank or credit
card, for example.  So the transfer column should be something like
Bank:Checking.  I always find it easier to enter expenses from the Bank account
side rather than the expense account (category) side.

I suggest you have another read of the tutorial and concepts guide
documentation if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

HTH,
Maf.