Issues with Invoicing in 2.6.12 on Win 7-64

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:39:27 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Wm <tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > GF: It's been a couple of years since I started using GC, and I haven't
> > yet.  However I may in the future.  Plus, I'm worried it might be an
> audit
> > liability, having some record of items marked taxable for which I collect
> > no tax.  Just another thing to have to explain or take heat for in case
> I'm
> > audited.
>
> Not an issue, really.  GnuCash doesn't create a tax moment any more than it
> creates a moment you owe someone money or vice versa.
>
> Your audit liability is *none of our business*.  You report what you like
> when you like and I do the same.
>
> Think about it, I'm in the UK working under a completely different tax
> regime.

​GF: Recording an item as taxable when it isn't a taxable item could cause
me difficulty if the state audits me.  Recording an item as taxable and not
charging tax for it could also cause me difficulty during an audit.  These
difficulties are things the state may demand explanation for, hassle me
about, waste my time, etc. and I just don't want to risk it.  In business
and in law, if something poses a risk of causing difficulty, it's
considered a liability, as in the state of being responsible for
something.  If something is a liability during an audit, it's an audit
liability.  Not a monetary amount owed due to unpaid taxes, that would be a
tax liability.

As mentioned before, I really like GC!  I've been using it for a few years
and my only complaint is a fussy little issue with the invoicing UI.  I
just think that's great, for a program I get to use for free, get free
support, and upgrades to.  Kudos to all the developers who keep this thing
going!   ​

> Now you know GnuCash doesn't secretly send stuff to anyone are you feeling
> more settled or are you still going to vote for Donald Trump, the most
> powerful child not in social care?

GF: Please keep your condescension and insults to yourself.  ​

regards,

Greg Feneis