Hayes re: I need a report

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Mar 13 04:26:11 EDT 2016

On Saturday 12 March 2016 20:09:48 Terri Hayes wrote:
> wellllll....
>
> ok - so I went back and tried again- (make sure its all highlighted ..
> mine is not blue... but I got it "highlighted" with several selects
> and de-selects... I got it all)
>
> and (??!!) I was rewarded with a list of "unpaid" invoices from 2011,
> 2013, 2014, 2015 (yes - all unpaid - because they represent all those
> invoices that I had created while trying to figure out if I could get
> GNUCash to work for me ... all the years I gave it hours and hours
> enough to finally give up before I had to roll my business into the
> new year - staying with Quicken...
>
> all those invoices are there (gad - how do I get rid of all those
> empty invoices?)
>
> BUT
>
> not ONE unpaid 2016 invoice
>
> (and yes - I have several unpaid invoices at this time - this year...)
> well  jeeezz... can I not make it any harder for myself?
>
> I'm gonna keep playing with this "highlighting" deal (I already know
> those invoices cannot be removed - I've read lots and lots of threads
> about other people asking how to get rid of them and being told "you
> cant - because its "standard accounting principles" that say you
> cannot actually delete anything once you put it in there- so you cant
> "cheat" your books...

That's part of the story. The other part is a real technical limitation in the code (that should be
solvable IMO).

And there is a way to get rid of all these unwanted invoices: you can "recycle" them. Maf. King
recently wrote a nice explanation about that. I will quote it here for your convenience:

"You can't delete an invoice, but you can amend it to a new customer and "recycle" it. - just
make sure your duplicates are unposted, and next time you want to create an invoice, just
find the unposted ones and go for Edit and assign to the new customer and carry on as
normal.

TBH, I have left invoice tabs open in the the past awaiting re-purposing."

Regards,

Geert